Thursday 23 February 2012

"We Need Each Other"

A grade six pupil at Robarts School for the Deaf in London, Ontario is concerned that she will have to move again to pursue a deaf education if the school is closed. A recommendation from Economist Don Drummond to close the school was made last week. The recommendation was one of 300 aimed at combating a $16 Billion provincial deficit.

this 11 year old's concern caused her to write a letter to Elgin-Middlesex-London MPP Jeff Yurek. In her letter she expresses her pride in deaf education and her battle with Mainstream school. "I fell like I really belong at Robarts because there are deaf staff and students". She wrote. "When I was in mainstream school (regular school) I only had to friends because everyone thought I was weird because I had hearing aids... I got C's and D's because I was very angry, sad, depressed and because I could not understand my teachers". She continues to explain that she is concerned about losing her small community of friends if they have to move to pursue education options.

There is no doubt that the closure of this school will result in lack of accessibility to those deaf, hard of hearing and persons with special needs. Deaf people have fought so hard to be treated as equal to the hearing and this will be a huge blow.

More information and updates on this letter and the recommendation to close Robarts School for the Deaf can be found in the London Free Press.



No comments:

Post a Comment